The Committee of the Conway Club may by unanimous agreement invite especially deserving or meritorious persons to fill the position of Patron of the Conway Club. The most recent Patrons were:

     




   The Most Honourable The Marquess of Anglesey                           Captain David T Smith OBE FNI RN (42-44)

The Marquess has been one of Conway’s greatest supporters since 1949. At that time the Ship was at Bangor but was seriously overcrowded, lacked adequate shore facilities and so faced an uncertain long term future. His offer to provide space in his house and estate at Plas Newydd solved all these challenges at a stroke.  Few people would relish the idea of 200 or so boisterous young men moving in “next door” but he was always an excellent neighbour. He was Conway’s generous host and supporter for the next 25 years through all her most difficult times. He provide land for the tents when the Ship was lost, converted his Dairy Farm into the Camp (a short term arrangement that lasted 10 years) and provided the grounds for the New Block.

David was a cadet when the Ship was moored at Glyn Garth off Bangor Pier. One of that special breed who joined the RN he had a very successful career rising to the rank of Captain, eventually holding the appointment of Commodore RN. He is an Elder Brother of Trinity House, and its former Warden and Chief Executive.

He was a Committee Member for over 50 years and remains one of the longest serving President of the Conway Club - from 1973 to 1982. He was President in 1974 when HMS Conway paid off and it is thanks to his dedicated efforts that major artifacts like the figurehead, wheel and bell found secure and appropriate homes.

It is with the deepest of regret that we must announce that David died on 23rd March 2013

It is with the deepest of regret that we must announce that The Marquess died on

13th July 2103